How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented my house from 1/2009 to 6/2010. At the end of the

This answer was rated:

I rented my house from 1/2009 to 6/2010. At the end of the lease, I moved back into the house. The last month of the lease my tenants trashed my house. I had to: XXXXX XXXXX of house, New Carpet, New Stove, New Dishwasher, New Window Screens New Blinds, Professional Cleaning.  Can I deduct these for repairs to my house to get back to the original condition since they occurred during the rental period? I will not be able to depreciate anything because I am not renting anymore.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


You can deduct these expenses against the rent income received from the tenants on Schedule E. You are not required to claim a deduction for depreciation. These are repairs.


If you are ever audited you will be called upon to document that these repairs were necessitated by the damages done by the tenants. You should try to keep/obtain proof of this. If you are not audited it will not matter, this is to help you prepare for a worst case scenario.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you