How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

refering to my previous question... can my son in law take

Resolved Question:

refering to my previous question... can my son in law take earned income credit for my daughter and the two girls if we claim them as dependents?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Hello there,

I have read your prior question---Can you tell me how old your daughter is, if she lived with you for the entire year in 2010---


Also, Your son in law absolutely cannot use the children as qualifying children for earned income credit. He cannot get earned income credit at all if he uses married filing separately status--which is his only choice presuming he has no other children---unless your daughter chooses to file jointly with him.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If she files with him as head of household and applies for earned income credit and he does not claim them as dependents can we then claim them as dependents?
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.



I need some additional information so I can figure out the correct answers for you.

Can you tell me how old your daughter is, how much income she earns, how long she was a full time student last year---and how long she lived with you?


In regards XXXXX XXXXX head of household question--I don't know what you mean by if she files "with him as head of household"---that wouldn't be an option if they filed a joint return.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my daughter is 21, she became a full time student in the fall of 2010. She lives with us all of the time. She recieved about 7000.00 in student loans and grants and paid about 2000.00 to tuition. Additionally she works cleaning houses and doing odd odd jobs. We think she made about 4500.00 (roughly) last year but it was working for several people not just one individual. She does not have a W2 or a 1099, we were told tat se can not take an earned income credit since she dosent have a W2. We suppliment her by paying for all basic necessities(shelter, utilities, food, cell phone, car insurance, baby food diapers etc)
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

If your daughter was enrolled as a full time student for any part of 5 calendar months during 2010---which would count if she was enrolled in August, but not if enrolled in September---then she would be your qualifying child and not allowed to take her own exemption unless she filed jointly with her husband.


If she was only a full time student for 4 months of the year, if she earned more than $3650 in gross income (aid/student loan, etc. grants for tuition does not count toward gross income) then she would not be able to be claimed by you as a dependent.


Someone telling you that she cannot take earned income credit since she doesn't have a W2 is not entirely correct----she could claim the credit, but if her credit was investigated she would need proof of earning---such as canceled checks, log of jobs done and for whom, dates---etc.


If she does not file a joint return with her spouse, she is not eligible for earned income credit regardless----since her only option would be to file married separate, and the credit is not allowed for married separate filing status.


She cannot file head of household, because she did not pay more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up the household.


If you are looking to receive the best tax benefit for your situation you should consider--


A. Claiming your grandchildren (and daughter if she meets dependency requirements) and using the refund to pay your past tax debt---you are still receiving the benefits by reducing your debt and reducing penalties and interest that pile up.


B. Have your daughter file a joint return with husband. If there is fear of him taking the entire refund, you are allowed to file a form (electronically) that will split the refund into two different bank accounts---half could go into hers, and half could go into his.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just a couple of more questions promise.:)
im assumeing that option A and B can be done simultaniously, not one or the other correct? also, when they file this joint return they will have to put the girls information in the form for the girls for the EIC but they dont claim any dependents correct? Then when we do our tax return we claim them (my daughter and the two girls)as dependants correct?
My daughter did start school in August so she was in for 5 months
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

No, I'm sorry if I confused you.


What I meant was that you could consider either A or B.

However----You could claim the children as dependents and let the parents file a joint return together. You can not mix the children and put them on your return AND your daughters' return. Since the children lived with you and with their mother--you cannot pick and choose benefits, it's either all or nothing. You cannot claim them as dependents and have the mother and father file a joint return and claim them for EIC.


Your additional information confirms that your daughter is your qualifying child and may be taken as a dependent by you.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you