How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year I made about $39,000.00 Do I qualify for the child

Customer Question

Last year I made about $39,000.00 Do I qualify for the child tax refund? I have 2 minor children and I am the head of household.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If this is earned income, you would qualify for the child tax credit if the children are qualifying children. To determine if the children are qualifying children, IRS rules state:

"A qualifying child for purposes of the child tax credit is a child who:

  1. Is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew),

  2. Was under age 17 at the end of 2010,

  3. Did not provide over half of his or her own support for 2010,

  4. Lived with you for more than half of 2010

  5. Is claimed as a dependent on your return, and

  6. Was a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident alien.


For each qualifying child, you must either check the box on Form 1040 or Form 1040A, line 6c, column (4); or Form 1040NR, line 7c, column (4)."


If your child tax credit is limited because your tax was less than the full child tax credit, you may be able to claim a refundable additional child tax credit. You can use Form 8812 to figure this credit.


Best regards,