How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55615
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tax questions. My wife and our neighbor started a

Resolved Question:

I have a tax questions. My wife and our neighbor started a joint business venture last year selling gift baskets online. We've both invested different amounts of money in to the business but have shared the profits equally. We have a business license that lists the two of them as general partners. Since our expenses are different based on our individual financial investment in the business, do we both just deduct whatever our individual expenses were on our own taxes this year and split the revenues or do we have to file our business taxes together somehow? Thanks!!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. Since you have a partnership, the partnership needs to prepare a tax return and then allocate the deductions to the two of you as partners via a K-1 to each of you. You then take the items on the K-1 and report it on your 1040.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So to clarify, we each need to file a K1 with our individual tax returns showing our own portion of profits and losses for the partnership?

Is there an actual form or return that our partnership needs to send to the IRS independent of our personal returns with the K-1 forms?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the partnership will file Form 1065. Then it issues K-1's to you allocating out to each of you your allocable share of the partnership items.
Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.