How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a full-time job and a part-time job. I need to update

Resolved Question:

I have a full-time job and a part-time job. I need to update my W-4s for each. The advice I got was to claim myself on the W-4 for my highest paying job (full-time) and do the Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet accordingly. Furthermore, the advice said to claim zero on my part-time job W-4. Is this good advice. If so, do I need to do the Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet on my part-time job w-4, too?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Without seeing what you may per paycheck, and knowing your whole tax situation, I would not know if you will wind up owing or not, but you are on the right track to do the two-earner/multiple job worksheet. The worksheet is confusing...but if you use it correctly, it will tell you the total of exemptions to claim on all jobs---and it tells you to only use one W4 worksheet.


If you have no credits, children, or other deductions, I would claim single 0 on both.


If you need more detailed information, you will need to give me paycheck amounts, filing situation, etc.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you