How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15189
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is mobile home space rent tax deductible?

Customer Question

Is Trailer Park Lot Rental Tax Deductible?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

If the lot rental is straight rental for a personally owned and used mobile home then the deduction is not allowed on the Schedule A.

In some states (such as Maryland), you can buy your home subject to a ground rent. A ground rent is an obligation you assume to pay a fixed amount per year on the property. Under this arrangement, you are leasing (rather than buying) the land on which your home is located.

If you make annual or periodic rental payments on a redeemable ground rent, you can deduct them as mortgage interest.

A ground rent is a redeemable ground rent if all of the following are true:

  1. Your lease, including renewal periods, is for more than 15 years.
  2. You can freely assign the lease.
  3. You have a present or future right (under state or local law) to end the lease and buy the lessor’s entire interest in the land by paying a specific amount.
  4. The lessor’s interest in the land is primary a security interest to protect the rental payments to which he or she is entitled.

Payments made to end the lease and to buy the lessor’s entire interest in the land are not deductible as mortgage interest. Payments on a nonredeemable ground rent are not mortgage interest. You can deduct them as rent if they are a business expense or if they are for rental property.