Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

To benefit from the full Foreign Earned Income Exemption, is

To benefit from the full Foreign Earned Income Exemption, is there a limit on the number of days I can spend in the US? Is a distinction made between personal travel to the US and going to a meeting in the US for my employer, the United Nations in Geneva?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

To claim the income exclusion you must be out of the US for 330 days to meet the physical presence test. As long as your days out of the US were 330 then you meet the test. You do not meet the physical presence test if illness, family problems, a vacation, or your employer's orders cause you to be present for less than the required amount of time.

If you are claiming Bona Fide Resident then you must have the intentions of returning to the country without unreasonable delay. This is including out of the country for vacation or business.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX is useful,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Kindly confirm then that I can be in the US for 35 days total, as long as I am outside 330 days.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.
If you are outside the US for 330 days in a year then you would meet the requirements to claim the exclusion.