Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do I pay Use Tax on the following business fees godaddy.com

Do I pay Use Tax...
Do I pay Use Tax on the following business fees: godaddy.com domain/hosting, trade show registration fees, etsy.com and ebay.com fees? Also are these promotional fees or plain expenses?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2011
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

Use tax is a tax on the use of goods or certain services in Washington when sales tax has not been paid.

LEV :

State law defines which activities are subject to the retail sales (or use) tax.

Generally, all sales of tangible personal property to consumers for their own use are considered retail sales.

It is also the sale of services such as installation, repair, cleaning, altering, improving, construction, and decorating. Other services include improving real or personal property, amusement and recreational activities, lawn maintenance, and physical fitness activities.

LEV :

You may see more details in this publication - http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Pubs/ExciseTax/RetailSales_UseTax/RetailSales.pdf

LEV :

Your business fees: godaddy.com domain/hosting, trade show registration fees, etsy.com and ebay.com fees are not subject of sales or use taxes.

LEV :

I am not sure what do you mean under "promotional fees". These fees are deductible as business expenses in the year paid.

LEV :

Please let me know if you ned any help.

JACUSTOMER-68md9a98- :

Ok thanks. I mean a promotional expense... But i guess the fees for booth space and listing fees online are like renting space for my product. What is a promotional expense - just flyers, ad space, business cards?

LEV :

You might mean advertisement expenses? On the schedule C - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf - see list of expenses categories.

LEV :

If they do not fit in any category - just list them separately in the part V.

JACUSTOMER-68md9a98- :

thanks again

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor