How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brenda Guy Your Own Question
Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 151
Experience:  20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Brenda Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can we get credit in the adjusted gross income part of

Resolved Question:

Can we get credit in the adjusted gross income part of Form 1040 for the 401K my husband pays that is deducted from his gross pay, that we never access?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brenda Guy replied 6 years ago.

Your adjusted gross income is already reduced by the 401(k) that is deducted from his pay. If you look at box 1 on the w-2 you will see that it is reduced by the amount deducted for the 401(k). Box 1 should be less than box 3 by the amount deducted. If it isn't then the payroll service is making an error.

Brenda Guy and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you