Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Must the IRS follow through on commitment of Notice CP21B to

Customer Question
give refund?...
Must the IRS follow through on commitment of Notice CP21B to give refund?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
1/27/2011
Tax Professional: JKCPA, CPA replied 6 years ago
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA

Thanks for your question.

You should get a refund unless you owed other taxes to IRS or other debts the IRS is required to collect, such as child support or student loans. If you didn't get a notice that your refund was offset to another debt, you should call the IRS at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your CP21B notice. Tell them you were expecting this refund and have not received it yet. If you have moved since you received the notice, the refund may have been sent to your old address in which case, you will need to call and give IRS your new address so they can re-issue the refund to the correct address.

Best regards,
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
Refund applies to 2006 tax year and was filed late.... yet they sent CP21B re refund. Can they renig (sp) on refund letter?

I owe nothing else to IRS.

Unfortunately, yes, they will sometimes send that notice out but the refund period has expired. That notice does not guarantee you will receive a refund. They will usually send you a letter of explanation afterward, stating that the period for claiming a refund has expired. Did you receive another letter?

A taxpayer may file a amended return/claim for refund within 3 years from the time the tax return was filed with the IRS or 2 years from the time the tax was paid to the IRS, whichever period is latest.
JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA