Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim myself as a dependent?

Customer Question
Can I claim myself as...

Can I claim myself as a dependent on my tax return? On my paperwork when it says put a 1 in the box to claim yourself. So, when I file my taxes do I claim myself?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/13/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. Yes, you get to claim yourself. No worries.

Richard, Tax Attorney

When I started my job an filed the paperwork it said to claim yourself put a 1 in the box so that is what I did. No one else can claim me on taxes and it makes a major difference in my return. Without claiming myself I will get roughly $450 back but if I claim myself I get $1,750. So, it is greatly needed. When I file do I have to put anything else as far as claiming myself or just put 1 in the box and not worry about the rest?

All you need do is put 1 in the box.

I tried to do that but it doesn’t give me the option to put a 1 in the box. When I click on add dependent it asks me for the name and other information and it won’t let me claim because it says the SSN's match.

I'm not sure what software you are using...but you can claim yourself. Some software programs automatically claim you as one and then have a separate box for additional dependents. You want to make sure that the software isn't counting you already so that if you put the 1 in the other box you would be actually trying to claim two.

I am currently using the H&R block free service. Should I choose something different or should I just take my information in an have someone else do it?

I would either use TurboTax or take it to someone.

I will go and try that now. Also, can I claim my girlfriend if she files and says that I do. We live together and I provide more than half of her income.

No, you are not going to be able to claim her, I’m sorry.

Well, I tried TurboTax as well ans it doesn’t let me do it either. It makes me fill out all the information about myself again and then says:
“Dependent Information Worksheet: Dependent's SSN should not be the same as the Taxpayer's SSN”.

Then, it must already be counting you. Go through it and then print out your return, and it will likely have the one dependent, because on your return, there are two separate boxes. You put 1 in one for yourself and another 1 in another box is you have another one.

Richard, Tax Attorney