How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55280
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim myself as a dependent?

Customer Question

Can I claim myself as a dependent on my tax return? On my paperwork when it says put a 1 in the box to claim yourself. So, when I file my taxes do I claim myself?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. Yes, you get to claim yourself. No worries.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I started my job an filed the paperwork it said to claim yourself put a 1 in the box so that is what I did. No one else can claim me on taxes and it makes a major difference in my return. Without claiming myself I will get roughly $450 back but if I claim myself I get $1,750. So, it is greatly needed. When I file do I have to put anything else as far as claiming myself or just put 1 in the box and not worry about the rest?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
All you need do is put 1 in the box.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I tried to do that but it doesn’t give me the option to put a 1 in the box. When I click on add dependent it asks me for the name and other information and it won’t let me claim because it says the SSN's match.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what software you are using...but you can claim yourself. Some software programs automatically claim you as one and then have a separate box for additional dependents. You want to make sure that the software isn't counting you already so that if you put the 1 in the other box you would be actually trying to claim two.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am currently using the H&R block free service. Should I choose something different or should I just take my information in an have someone else do it?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

I would either use TurboTax or take it to someone.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will go and try that now. Also, can I claim my girlfriend if she files and says that I do. We live together and I provide more than half of her income.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

No, you are not going to be able to claim her, I’m sorry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, I tried TurboTax as well ans it doesn’t let me do it either. It makes me fill out all the information about myself again and then says:
“Dependent Information Worksheet: Dependent's SSN should not be the same as the Taxpayer's SSN”.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Then, it must already be counting you. Go through it and then print out your return, and it will likely have the one dependent, because on your return, there are two separate boxes. You put 1 in one for yourself and another 1 in another box is you have another one.