Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I are preparing a significant remodel to our home

Customer Question
this year. We've talked...
My wife and I are preparing a significant remodel to our home this year. We've talked to our mortgage broker about financing a portion of the cost (we've been saving to cover the rest), but our loan-to-value is about 75% and the our broker doesn't believe we'd be able to get any cash out with the market still trending down in our area. We believe we could come up with the cash by other means (liquidating a few investments, borrowing from our folks, etc.) to get the work done and then re-finance after the work is completed to pay back our investment portfolio and/or other sources. The question is, for the purposes of AMT calculation, would the cash out that we use to pay back those sources qualify as being for "home improvement" (and therefore allowable under AMT), even though it didn't go to directly pay a contractor? Are there any special paper trails we need to keep to prove that this was our intent all along in case we get audited? Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/4/2011
Tax Professional: Lindie-mod,
 replied 7 years ago
Lindie-mod

Hi

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Best,
Lindie
Moderator

Tax Professional: CGCPA, CPA replied 7 years ago
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

If you can connect the refinance cash out to the improvement project by way of timing of receipts and repayment of loans you can claim it as home improvement financing and be safe as to the AMT.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "timing of receipts". In our situation, the receipts for the work would be dated prior to the refinance, so I'm not clear about the timing could connect them. Or do you simply mean that as long as we do the refinance as soon as possible upon completion of the project and then use the cash out to immediately pay back our investments and / or loans, that it will be clear to the IRS that our intent was to use the cash out to fund the project in the first place?

Thanks again for the clarification.
If you do the refinance asap after the renovation is completed you can satisfy the requirements. If possible have any money borrowed from others indicate that the loan is to be used to renovate the home and will be repayable by the refinance.
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
CGCPA
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA