How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I,m 84, 2nd marriage. Wife 83 diagnosed as alzeimers in feb

Resolved Question:

I,m 84, 2nd marriage. Wife 83 diagnosed as alzeimers in feb 2010. Then it was discovered wifes' daughter had gen durable POA. I have provided all support in our home and all household expenses other than 20 hrs/wk for a parttime caretaker. apparently i cannot file mfj since wife unable to legally sign. I assume there is no way to claim any deductions since POA is not cooperating but she still says she will not file . Though our assets,IRAs, are separate the POA doesn"t want to file. Is there anyway we can still file jointly and obtain an Innocent spouse relief in case I should not have all her info, or must I file seperately and forget about all the expenses I,ve paid?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


Under the circumstances you should really consider using the married filing separate status. You will not be held responsible for anything that is your wife's yet you CAN claim all the things you paid for her care and all the other deductible items for which you paid.


This will place some distance between you and the POA .


Please feel free to let me know if I can provide additional assistance.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you