Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I pay $250.00 a month for my child to attend full day kindergarten

at a public school....
I pay $250.00 a month for my child to attend full day kindergarten at a public school. Is there a way for me to claim this on my taxes? It is not really "child care" and it isnt really tuition either. I am clueless! Thanks for your help!
1/3/2011
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

RD :

Is this payment for extended day care- before and after school?

JACUSTOMER-a8ihkuox- :

No, just for him to attend all day Kindergarten. He can go for "free" from 8:00 am to noon but to finish out the rest of the day until 3:00 costs me $250.00 per month. It is paid directly to the school district via online account along with his lunch money. Sorry if that is too much info, I am not sure how much you need.

RD :

So, this would mean that the amount paid is for extended care and not tuition. You can get a child care credit for such amount. However, amount paid towards lunch money will not be included for the credit purposes.

JACUSTOMER-a8ihkuox- :

Ok, I trust your opinion! Thanks for your help, I really appreicate it!

JACUSTOMER-a8ihkuox- :

Shoot, sorry - I didnt realize saying thanks would not allow me to accept this as closed. If you want to just send a blank reply, I will go accept your answer right away so you can get the credit.

RD :

thanks!

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)