Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I deduct my college tuition that furthers my professionalisn

Customer Question
as a police officer in...
Can I deduct my college tuition that furthers my professionalisn as a police officer in the job related expenses rather then the hope credit area?

I am majoring in criminal justice and in no way will this line me up for a new line of work.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2011
Tax Professional: RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

RD :

To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills, or (2) is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education cannot be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business, or needed to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business.

RD :

So, if your education meets the criteria as discussed above than you can deduct the education expense as unreimbursed employee business expense on Sch A

RD :

Expenses that can be deducted include:

• Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items

• Certain transportation and travel costs, and

• Other educational expenses, such as the cost of research and typing

JACUSTOMER-yh65h2mq- :

ok so would the government think that increasing my professionalism and knowledge in my field of criminal justice an acceptable justification you think?

RD :

I do not think as this tuition may not be required if you were to serve as a police officer. It would qualify you for a higher level professional job.

JACUSTOMER-yh65h2mq- :

ok i understand.

RD :

?Is there anything else you need help with

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)