How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a person have to file a US tax return if he is an independent

Resolved Question:

Does a person have to file a US tax return if he is an independent contractor, lives in Japan, and receives income from sources both in Japan and in the US? Does he have the legal right not to provide his tax ID number to a customer in the US who wants to pay the person by check to a valid address previously provided by the person to the customer, and to insist that he be paid only by money transfer to Japan?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:


In general a US citizen is required to report all of their worldwide income on a federal return unless specifically excluded by the tax code. The taxpayer can receive a credit for foreign tax paid on that income or can exclude certain foreign earned income.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Could you please let me know what specific IRS publication deals with this issue?
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer -


IRS Publication 54 should cover the information needed. See link below:


MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions