Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am the executrix for my brothers estate. How do I know

Customer Question
I am the executrix for...
I am the executrix for my brother's estate. How do I know if the estate owes any income tax. Also does a return have to be filed even if the estate doen't owe any income tax?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. As the executrix, you will file a last income tax return on behalf of your brother...you will base this on the best information you can gather...checkbooks, past returns, W-2's, 1099's, credit card bills, and his files. Then, if the estate while being probated has any income which rises to the level of taxability, you will cause the estate to file an income tax return. If no tax is going to be due, you will need not prepare the return. Also, you will need to determine, based on the size of the estate, whether any estate tax returns need to be filed.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney