CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

My husband was injured on his job february 2010 and received

My husband was injured on his job february 2010 and received workman's comp. He wasn't able to go back. He worked briefly part-time in October but suffered another work related injury requiring surgery. I was a stay at home mom working part time from home making about a $100 a month. I also briefly worked at a retail store for two months making $8 an hour. My other source of income was $500 a month in child support. Would it be to "my" benefit to file married but separately on our taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

With a negligible income on your side of this it would make more sense to file a joint return. However, if you wish you can calculate your taxes both ways and see which works best. Please remember that in a separate return some tax benefits are not available that are available in a joint return so it makes sense to do a complete calculation of the return both ways before deciding. Once you have the numbers for a joint return preparing separate returns for comparison is a simple matter. There are many software programs available that will permit this dual computation and some are available for nominal cost.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Since I'm new to this, what tax programs online can I utilize to see if filing separately is feasible?

Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
The one I use is available at www.taxact.com. It is free unless you chose to file electronically. Then there is a small fee for the processing. Although I use the professional version there is a version for those preparing their own returns and it has a question and answer feature to help you catch all your deductions and credits. It can print a paper return if you wish to file that way. I do recommend this. Others, I have heard good and bad reports about.