How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was injured on his job february 2010 and received

Resolved Question:

My husband was injured on his job february 2010 and received workman's comp. He wasn't able to go back. He worked briefly part-time in October but suffered another work related injury requiring surgery. I was a stay at home mom working part time from home making about a $100 a month. I also briefly worked at a retail store for two months making $8 an hour. My other source of income was $500 a month in child support. Would it be to "my" benefit to file married but separately on our taxes?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


With a negligible income on your side of this it would make more sense to file a joint return. However, if you wish you can calculate your taxes both ways and see which works best. Please remember that in a separate return some tax benefits are not available that are available in a joint return so it makes sense to do a complete calculation of the return both ways before deciding. Once you have the numbers for a joint return preparing separate returns for comparison is a simple matter. There are many software programs available that will permit this dual computation and some are available for nominal cost.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Since I'm new to this, what tax programs online can I utilize to see if filing separately is feasible?

Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
The one I use is available at It is free unless you chose to file electronically. Then there is a small fee for the processing. Although I use the professional version there is a version for those preparing their own returns and it has a question and answer feature to help you catch all your deductions and credits. It can print a paper return if you wish to file that way. I do recommend this. Others, I have heard good and bad reports about.
CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you