How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a divorce, who claims children on there taxes, the parent

This answer was rated:

In a divorce, who claims children on there taxes, the parent they live with or the parent who pays child support.



For tax purposes, the custodial parent has the superior claim. If the children spend equal time at each parents home, then there are tie breaker rules.


Usually, the parents decide on who is to claim the kids in the divorce agreements. If it is not specifically addressed in the divorce decree, then the custodial parent can decide to claim the children, or release their claim to the non-custodial parent using form 8332.


Thank you for your question. Please Reply if you need additional help.



Edited by Jacy on 1/2/2011 at 7:28 PM EST
Jacy and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you