Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I plan to retire at the end of March 2011. My wife has filed

I plan to retire at the end of March 2011. My wife has filed for divorce, but the divorce date has not been set. I want to apply for Social Security benefits, but I am not sure what status I should put on the application, as we should be divorced by the time I retire.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

It really doesn't matter. You'll want to indicate you marital status at the time you actually file for social security benefits. If you've been married for more that 10 years and your wife hasn't remarried she can collect 1/2 of you social security benefits when she becomes eligible for retirement. It will not affect your benefit. In fact, some people have multiple ex-spouses collecting based upon their earning records.

Customer :

Okay. I had trouble connecting before. I wanted to go ahead and get the paperwork started now, even though we are still married. We have only been married 4 years and 4 months. I guess I'm confused if I would have to refile when my marital status changes. Or just update my information after the divorce is finalized.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Sure, that's ok. It really doesn't matter; your marital status doesn't effect your benefits. Sorry you have to go through this trauma at this stage of your life.

Customer :

Not sure there is a good time for this, but thanks.

Customer :

I appreciate your prompt answers to my questions. Happy New Year!

Stephen E. Grizey :

You too. May 2011 be the once that gets you off on a new track.