Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I purchased an investment property for $55,000 in 7/10. I

I purchased an investment property...
I purchased an investment property for $55,000 in 7/10. I am selling the property on 1/14/11 for $85,000. Will I be taxed on capital gains or ordinary income? What is the difference in cost to me? Thank you.
1/1/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. Because you have not held the property for 12 months, any gain will be capital gain, but short term, not long term. Short term capital gain is taxed at ordinary income tax rate. Had it been long term, your capital gain tax rate would be 0% if you are in the 10% or 15% marginal income tax bracket, or otherwise 15%. On the furnishings, your gain or loss will be the $25,500 less what you paid for it.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney