Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

in the eight years i have been in practice i have been to five

Customer Question
tax professionals, i have given...
in the eight years i have been in practice i have been to five tax professionals, i have given them my income information four of these professional have held onto my information for one to two years then advised me that they could not do my taxes with no reasons give ( i have corroboration from people who worked for the firms and i have cancelled checks and correspondence. Eighteen months ago i found a professional who specializes in deliquent we have been working and speaking with the irs regarding this serious deficit and returns were being prepared (correspondence available) last month the irs raided my office and house> my tax attorney tells me i can go to jail for years and be fined etc. I have difficulty that after all the time i spent trying to get my returns filed and finally having initiated contact with the irs this could occur
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2011
Tax Professional: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

I get the feeling you are looking for legal representation, rather than an answer about the law. If that's true, then no one here can help you, because we "justanswer" legal questions.

That said, can I answer a legal question for you?

If not, then let me know, and I ask customer service to refund your money.
Thankyou, i have obtained counsel but i am concerned about penalties, criminal, for not filing and paying
The penalty for late filing is 5% per month of the taxes owed, 25% maximum. Interest is the federal reserve short-term rate plus 3%, compounded daily, on the unpaid tax due.

Once you file all of the returns, you can attempt to set up an installment payment plan, or make an offer in compromise for a lump sum. You can also consider filing bankruptcy after 240 days for any return on which the filing date is at least three years past due. I don't know if bankruptcy is an option, but it may get rid of 5 years worth of your tax return obligation.

The IRS does not want to prosecute anyone for a criminal violation. However, eventually, if you do not file, then that's what will happen, so the sooner you file, the better off you are.

Also, for any return where you do not owe taxes, the minimum penalty for late filing is $100 ($135 for returns required to be filed after 2008). So, if any return shows a loss or breakeven, then that would be good.

Hope this helps and happy new years.

NOTICE: My goal is to assist people who cannot afford traditional legal services. Without your contribution, I will be unable to continue to help others in this forum. I am always available to answering your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

socrateaser, Lawyer