How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2 questions...If I have a pending bankruptcy, do I have to

This answer was rated:

2 questions...If I have a pending bankruptcy, do I have to report anything for the house on my tax returns?

My husband and I are still legally married but are separated and live in different states. I realize that I have to file my tax returns with a married status, but I want to file married but filing separate. Can I file a return with just my name and information on it or do I have to have my husband's information as well? We are not in contact so I don't think he would hand his W2 information over willingly...



Regarding your house, are you thinking you may have income from the discharge of debt? or are you wondering about mortgage interest and property tax deductions?


If your filing status is Married Separate, you do need your husbands social security number. You also need to itemize deductions if he itemizes. Depending on whether you have children that live with you and how long he has lived out of the home, you might be able to file Head of Household.





Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am thinking about mortgage interest and property tax. I have 2 children living with me. He has not lived with us for over a year.



If he has not lived there, and you have provided more than half of the household support, then you can file Head of Household. You will not need any of his information.


You can take deductions for mortgage interest and taxes that you have paid. Of course, you are not required to itemize your deductions, you may choose to take the standard deduction if it turns out to be higher.


Thank you for your question. Please Reply if you need additional help.



Jacy and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you