Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in California and plan on selling a small apartment

building sometime in 2012-13 (also...
I live in California and plan on selling a small apartment building sometime in 2012-13 (also my place of residence). I will be retiring at that time at age 62 yrs and moving to Costa Rica where I plan to pay cash for a home on the money I get from selling the building. Will I have to pay capital gains on what I net out from the sale?
12/2/2010
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. With regard to the sale of your residence portion of this, you can exclude up to $250,000 of capital gains due to the exclusion for sale of principal residence. If there is a part of the building that is not your residence, ifyou use any of the money to purchase investment property, you should structure the sale/purchase as a like kind tax-free exchange under Code Section 1031. With respect to any sale proceeds from the non-residence sale invested in your new home, you will be subject to capital gains tax on that piece.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney