Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A withholding has been placed against my bank account for a

Customer Question
2005 California form 540NR that...
A withholding has been placed against my bank account for a 2005 California form 540NR that I thought was filed, but wasn't. The funds were sent to the CA Franchise Tax Board, where they apparently have been sitting for 5 years. I do not know where on the form 540 to fill out the numbers of sales price and amount withheld, and desperately need advise, ASAP!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2010
Tax Professional: Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

You may have found yourself in a very unfortunate trap. In order to get the funds refunded you need to file the return, 540NR. You will only get a refund if you file within 2 years of the tax payment. It looks to me like you may be out of luck if the money was taken 5 years ago.

I would suggest contacting the California taxpayers advocate to find out exactly what you rights are. If anyone can help you they can. The advocate hot line is: 1-800-883-5910.

Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy