How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55310
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just accepted the appointment as successor trustee for

This answer was rated:

I have just accepted the appointment as successor trustee for our family trust. This was necessitated by my mother's incapication. In trying to open up a new trust account at a more local credit union I was asked if the trust account was to set up under my social security or with an ?EIN. They could not explain the implications of one over the other. Can you a tell me what might be best for this situation?
I don't know if will make a difference but there is a house, as part of the trust, that generates an rental income. However, that income will be used exclusively for the care of my mother.

Good afternoon. You are going to want to get a separate Taxpayer ID number for the trust (I'm surprised it doesn't already have one...check on the most recent tax return for the trust) because if you use your SSN, then any income is going to get reported to the IRS under your SSN rather than the IRS'.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not know if it has a TAX ID number as I do not have access to income tax forms-ALthough I am guardian and successor trustee, I agreed to a professional conservator for her daily financial affairs. My mother's documents are a mess and she was shredding documents before we could get to court to have her declared incompetent. SO, what would happen if there was already a tax id number, but I go ahead and set the trust up at this credit union with a new tax id number?


You can apply for a new ID number online at the IRS' website and if the trust has already been issued one, it will inform you of that. In that manner, you can get the old number. Also, it's doubtful that she did the tax return you might check with whoever she used as an accountant.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions