Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Had a Sub S Corp. Sold the business but not all of the A/R.

Had a Sub S Corp. Sold the business but not all of the A/R. This is first full year since the sale. Some A/R have been received but some are to be considered bad debts. How is this to be shown on individual return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon. You would report this as income on Schdule C of your 1040, whether you are collecting money attributable to A/R or bad debts previously written off.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no active business except for the collection of these A/R that were not sold with the S Corp. Is a Schedule C filed just to cover the amounts received & the bad debts that are being written off?

Thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
You have to report them somewhere....You can either put them on Schedule C or you can include them on other income on the first page of your 1040.