How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to fom LLC in NY preferably with Manhattan address. The

This answer was rated:

I want to fom LLC in NY preferably with Manhattan address.
The most costly step is publishing requirement:
Section 206 of the Limited Liability Company Law requires that within 120 days after the effectiveness of the initial articles of organization, a limited liability company (LLC) must publish in two newspapers a copy of the articles of organization or a notice related to the formation of the LLC. The newspapers must be designated by the county clerk of the county in which the office of the LLC is located, as stated in the articles of organization. After publication, the printer or publisher of each newspaper will provide you with an affidavit of publication.

My question : Can I have registered agent e.x in Albany(there are such services) and publish there which is much cheaper and after publishing move address to Manahattan w/o requirement to re-publish to operate legally. Can I start business during publishing?

Thank you

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


Not to throw a wrench in your thoughts but in NY it is usually much less expensive to form and maintain an S Corp rather than an LLC. The publishing costs far exceed the filing fees for a corporation and the annual costs are also less costly with a corporation. You will also not need a registered agent. An S Corporation election using Federal form 2553 available at and a CT-6 available at are easy to complete.


The publishing must be done in the county in which the LLC will operate and if you relocate it to NYC after setting it up in Albany you will need to republish.Also, you cannot start doing business until after the publishing is completed for the LLC whereas with a corporation you can begin doing business the day it is filed in Albany.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if I want to have internet store and sell countrywide . Can I have just listed Manhattan address on website , and still have registered agent in Albany (with lower publishing costs)?
Thank you
That will work. Again, the S Corporation will eliminate the publishing cost.
CGCPA and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you