Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how can i stop my childrens father from claiming them on his

Customer Question
incom tax and they dont...
how can i stop my childrens father from claiming them on his incom tax and they dont live with him and he only pay child support
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

You asked how you can stop him. You can only take the steps to report his actions.

Robin D :

If 2 taxpayers use the same dependent on their tax return then the IRS will investigte as to which has the legal right. So by you filing your returns and claiming your dependents the IRS will require proof as to who the children lived with.

Robin D :

Generally, only the custodial parent is eligible to claim the following tax breaks:

JACUSTOMER-2lymmosd- :

thats not what i was looking for but thanks im saying i have all the prove that they do live wit me i just want him to stop claiming them because he thinks he is owed that money back because of child support

Robin D :

I understand. You could report his filing to the IRS.

Robin D :

You would nrrd to send a letter to them. Please include the following information, if available:

• Name and address of the person you are reporting

• The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business)

• A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information

• The years involved

• The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income

• Your name, address and daytime telephone number

Robin D :

The address is:

Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888

Robin D :

Basically you would need to send them a letter and let them know exactly what he is doing.

JACUSTOMER-2lymmosd- :

i just want him to stop because they live with me full time and he seems to think that money is owed to him because of chuld support

Robin D :

Most people that pay child support think that but that is an obligation to the children not a right to claim them for taxes

JACUSTOMER-2lymmosd- :

ok so im asking do i report him or how do i go about it because im not filing this year

Robin D :

The address is:

Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888

id="JA_chatMessage_8" class="JA_chatMessage JA_persAActive">

11:50 AM

JACUSTOMER-2lymmosd- :

thanks a hole lot

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4