Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi, My wife has a small furnished rental business. She

Customer Question
Hi, My wife has a small...

My wife has a small furnished rental business. She has a number of properties for which she is making mortgage payments. She tells me the principal portion of the payments are taxable. I find this hard to believe. The principal payments are like payments into a savings account. The only thing taxable would be capital gains realized upon sale.

Am I right that principal payments are NOT taxable even for a small business?

Thanks,

Bob
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2010
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney
Are you asking if the principal payments are taxable or tax deductible?

Thanks for the reply. I am asking if the principal payemts are taxable for a small business. I know the interest payments are tax deductable. But to tax principal paymets seems ridiculous. Yet this is what my wife's tax person says.

Principal payments that she is making are not tax deductible.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

That is not what I asked. I asked if they are TAXABLE. She is now paying taxes on principal payments. This makes no sense.
Principal payments she is paying are clearly not taxable to her because she is paying them. The only thing taxable to her is income that she receives! Why would something you are paying out be taxable to you?
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney