How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Ellis, CPA Your Own Question
William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 296
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
William Ellis, CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer wants me to get an IT certification to support

This answer was rated:

My employer wants me to get an IT certification to support a new product my company is selling. I work as a sales engineer supporting this product. My employer will pay for a training class, but I will need to purchase several computer servers to practice on prior to taking the certification test. My question is is the cost of the computers I need for practicetax deductible as a training espense? Can I write them off on my taxes?

William Ellis, CPA :

Good afternoon and thanks for letting us assist you. Yes, you can deduct the cost of the servers as an itemized deduction. The deduction will be lowered by 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income). Later, if you sell the servers, you'll need to show that income. I hope this helps, Bill Ellis.

Customer :

Thanks Bill. That's exactly what I needed

William Ellis, CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you