Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If a home in NJ is owned by H & W and the wifes mother is

If a home in NJ...
If a home in NJ is owned by H & W and the wife's mother is also on the deed, but does not pay the real estate taxes nor claim the property tax deduction then can the 100% property tax deduction be taken by the H&W on their joint tax return?
12/1/2010
William Ellis, CPA

William Ellis, CPA :

Good afternoon and thank you for letting us assist you. If the couple are paying the tax, they should be able to claim the deduction. The only sticking point would be if the mortgage and taxes are in the mother's name. I hope this helps, Bill Ellis.

William Ellis, CPA

Thank you. I'd appreciate it if you would post some positive Expert feedback. Thanks, Bill.

William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA