How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15607
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need the best wordage to ffile IRS Form 843 for atax abatment

Customer Question

I need the best wordage to ffile IRS Form 843 for atax abatment and possibly a waiver for 3600 dollars in taxes owed for the period of 2007, 2008, 2009. Theproblem arose from the non rental of property that I own in Florida that did not rent for that period or even now. I was unaware that I could not deduct certain expenses, such as upgraaes or condo association fees. The IRS disallowed mose of the expenses amost thankful if yound gave me a bill for each year. Thelast year, I had my taxes prepared by a VISTA preparer at Brook Army Medical Center where I was a pt after suffering a TBI in Oct 2008. I was not informed by this preparer that I was not allowed to take these deductions, even though there was no rental income. I would be most thankful if you could provide me with this information.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

You are allowed to request the IRS abate your penalties but not the additional tax that was added due to the disallowed expenses claimed.

You will need to explain the situation that caused you to claim the expenses and you will also want to remind the IRS that you have been compliant with all your tax filings in the past and since the action was taken against you. It is important to advise in your writing to them that you have not requested this action for abatement previously. (The last time I wrote such a request for a client, in spring of 2010, the agent informed them that they could only abate the penalty because it was their first time requesting an abatement of penalties.)

If you receive any notices from the IRS after you send the request for abatement, call them at the number listed on the notice and inform the agent of the abatement request so they can look into the matter for you. After your abatement of penalty request is accepted you will receive a letter with the new interest amount calculated.

Again, you can request they abate the penalties but interest and additional taxes will still be on the debt. Just put the information in your own words and explain the situation. Make sure you use the term abatement of penalties and remind them of the items I mentioned above.

I hope this information is helpful,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The answere thaat I received from you was standard format that I had already gotten from the IRS