How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a Construction LLC and wish to file my tax returns on

Resolved Question:

I own a Construction LLC and wish to file my tax returns on a completed contract basis. Am I able to do this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Completed Contract Method may only be used by small contractors and any home construction contracts. The fact that you are an LLC does not factor into the choice.

The disadvantages of the completed contract method are:

  • The books and records do not show clear information on operations
  • Income can be bunched into a year when a lot of jobs are completed, and
  • Losses on contracts are not deductible until the contracts are completed

If your annual gross receipts for the last 3 years were $10 million or less then you are a small contractor. Large contractors are required to account for long-term contracts using the percentage-of-completion method (PCM) for their general construction contracts.


I hope this information is helpful,

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions