Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am to be given 10% of a company in the USA as a reward. The

Customer Question
company is pre-revenue with products...
I am to be given 10% of a company in the USA as a reward. The company is pre-revenue with products in development.......however there is a subsidiary which is 40% owned by my company (therefore I have 4% of this) with revenue of $30M with an EBITDA of around 3.
Should I make a small payment vfor these shares to avoid tax?
What tax liabilities do I have?
How is this best handled?
The company is a Limited liability Company.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2010
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. You will have income equal to the value of the interest you are receiving. If you pay something for it, you will only have income equal to the fair market value in excess of the amount you pay. The fair market value of the interest being received, like any valuation, is probably subject to a wide variation.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney