How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a valid greencard holder for many years,retired and want

This answer was rated:

I am a valid greencard holder for many years,retired and want to spend more time each year with family in Holland.
I have some knowledge about IRS taxes but Soc.sec. benefits get cut by 30%!!??(or withhold?)Please advise,..

Thank you, Frank

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Robin D :

Unlike your tax situation (still must report worldwide income as a resident alien) the Social Security appears to hinge on the country wher you are going and the length of time that you will be out of the US.

Robin D :

The following is directly from the Social Security Site:

If you are a citizen of one of the countries listed below, Social Security payments will keep coming no matter how long you stay outside the United States, as long as you are eligible for the payments.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" align="center" summary="A list of countries where you can stay and still receive Social Security Payments">

  • Austria

  • Belgium

  • Canada

  • Chile

  • Czech Republic

  • Finland

  • France

  • Germany

  • Greece

  • Ireland

  • Israel

  • Italy

  • Japan

  • Korea (South)

  • Luxembourg

  • Netherlands

  • Norway

  • Poland

  • Portugal

  • Spain

  • Sweden

  • Switzerland

  • United Kingdom

Robin D :

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a citizen of one of the other countries listed above, your payments will stop after you have been outside the United States for six full calendar months unless you meet one of the following exceptions:

  • You were eligible for monthly Social Security benefits for December 1956; or

  • You are in the active military or naval service of the United States; or

  • The worker on whose record your benefits are based had railroad work treated as covered employment by the Social Security program; or

  • The worker on whose record your benefits are based died while in the U.S. military service or as a result of a service-connected disability and was not dishonorably discharged; or

  • You are a resident of a country with which the United States has a Social Security agreement.

Robin D :

I think you should go to the SSA site yourself. Here is a link to the information:

Robin D :

I suggest you go to the site so you can use their tool for determining your ability to continue to receive your payments:
You can you can call them toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to someone that may know more than your local office.

Robin D :

As far as the taxation of your benefits if you are not a US resident then you will have 30% withheld.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident, federal income taxes will be withheld from your benefits. The tax is 30 percent of 85 percent of your benefit amount.

It will be withheld from the ­benefits of all nonresident aliens, except those who reside in countries that have tax treaties with the United States that do not permit taxing of U.S. Social Security benefits (or provide for a lower tax rate). The United States has such treaties with Canada, Egypt, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Romania, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (defined as England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). Under the tax treaty with Switzerland, benefits paid to residents of Switzerland who are not U.S. citizens are taxed at a rate of 15 percent. In addition, the Social Security benefits paid to individuals who are both nationals and residents of India are exempt from this tax to the extent that their ­benefits are based on U.S. federal, state or local government employment. (This list of countries may change from time to time.) You will be able to file your tax return at years end and claim your withholding for possible refund (providing your income is such that does not cause a tax liability).

I hope this information is helpful

Customer :

Thank you, it was helpful

Customer :

but most of it I was able to find myself.Now it turns out to be a tax question.Namely,even though the Netherlands has

Customer :

a SS agreement,the IRS will withhold 30%(not cut)!??,even if I keep it in mij present bank(Chase)

Customer :

according to the agreement,no matter how long I stay in the Netherlands,they will deposit my SSp.but what happens to

Customer :

my resident status after one year,two years? My Greencard will expire?

Customer :

Thank you very much, Frank(Frans)

Customer :

P.S: can I apply $45 to a month benefit?I have more questions,..

Robin D :

United States Permanent Resident Cards, commonly knows as Green Cards, may have an expiration date printed on front of the card. Permanent residents (Green Card holders) who were issued a Green Card valid for ten years, should submit a Green Card Renewal application if the Green Card is already expired or will expire within 6 months. If your Green Card has an expiration date then it will not expire just because you are out of the US.

Robin D :

The withholding on SSA is mandatory for non US citizens that are out of the US

Customer :

oke, but it is a withholding, not a cut?

Robin D :

It is withholding, not a cut in benefits

Customer :

oke, so I read some where ,I need a re-entree permit if aaway more than one year? two?

Robin D :

That really is not a tax question but I can see if I have info on that, one minute

Robin D :

According tot he state department:
If you are a Green Card holder (lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident) and wish to travel or remain outside the United States for more than one year, but less than two, you require a US Reentry Permit. A Reentry Permit is not required for travel (a trip) that is shorter than one year. Note that an absence of more than one year will break the period of continuous residence required to become a citizen, even if a Reentry Permit is issued

Customer :

thank you very mutch, I will click the accept button (still change of one month benefit?)

Robin D :

Thank you and about your charge, if you have a question please click Customer Service or I can have them contact you.

Customer :

thank you,

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you