How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the procedure giving a tax free donation to my children

Resolved Question:

What is the procedure giving a tax free donation to my children? I understand the maxium amount that I can give each child is $13,000.00. Is this correct ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


You can give any person up to $13,000 per calendar year without being required to file a gift tax return. If you are married, your spouse can do the same. I suggest that if you do this use separate checks signed 1 by you and 1 by your spouse.


The law imposes this filing threshhold but you have a life time exemption of $1,000.000 on the taxability of gifts. In other words if you give any person $25,000 you will be required to file a gift tax return but will be able to apply $12,000 against the lifetime exclusion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To clarify I do not have to file a form 709 and how do the children declare this in come?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
If you keep at or below the threshhold you do not need to file. It is not income to your children by definition and therefore they have no filing requirement either.
CGCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you