Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i am a tax new preparer. i did not have earned income last

Customer Question
i am a tax new...
i am a tax new preparer. i did not have earned income last year, and the last time i had to file a return was a joint return several years ago with my former husband. can i apply for a PTIN online?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
11/4/2010
Tax Professional: Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

If you have the tax return information available from the last time you filed, go ahead and try the online system since it says to use your most recent return. They use this information to verify your identity. If you don't have that information or they do not accept it, you will have to send in Form W-12 with copies of you Social Security card, and your photo ID.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

If I have adequately answered your question, please click the GREEN ACCEPT button.

If you need more information after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to help you further.

Thank you!

Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
ok. so that would be "previous year's return"?

You did not say how long it has been since you have filed, but if you have the information and have not changed your name, I would try it. The IRS did not elaborate on "most recent", so I hope this works for you. Otherwise, it could take 6 weeks to get your PTIN.

Thanks again!

Jacy
Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)