How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My parents had a revocable living will trust. They

Resolved Question:

My parents had a revocable living will trust. They are both deceased now. There are three co-successors now. We are attempting to take care of the stocks and bonds in the account at Morgan-Stanley. However, we are getting resistance from the broker who is always out of the office or doesn't return our calls. He sent us some paperwork requiring a new Tax I.D. number.
Some web sites say we don't need a new number. Is this a stall tactic?
If a new number is XXXXX is one tax number enough for three of us or is a new tax number required for each of us?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. You are definitely getting the run around. If you are trying to simply liquidate them, the living trust already has a Tax ID. If you are trying to get them transferred in the name of each of you, then you already have ssn's. In case you are trying to move these stocks to another entity and do need a new Tax ID number, you can do that online at the website. But, it doesn't sound to me like you need one. You simply need the trustee of the trust to send the broker a certified return receipt requested letter demanding what it is you want done be done in a short specified period of time. Inform him otherwise you will have lost your sense of humor over his delay tactics and will have to take file a formal complaint with the eand of his office and the Securities Exchange Commission.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you