How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to find a tax lawer that deals with oregon I.R.S.

This answer was rated:

I need to find a tax lawer that deals with oregon I.R.S.
No one here can provide you with direct representation. We "justanswer" questions about the law. If you have a question about the Oregon Department of Revenue (DOR), feel free to ask.

If you need a tax lawyer to represent you before the DOR, then for a referral, see these links: ABA; Martindale.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you answer this, i just gor married one month ago, can the I.R.S garnish her wages for my back tax problem ?
No. Under ORS 108.020, "Neither husband nor wife is liable for the debts or liabilities of the other incurred before marriage; and except as otherwise provided in ORS 108.040, they are not liable for the separate debts of each other, nor is the rent or income of property owned by either husband or wife liable for the separate debts of the other."

However, if you and your wife commingle your assets, or deposit wages into a joint bank account, THEN the IRS can levy that account, because joint property is available to pay your tax liability.

Consider keeping everything separate until your tax obligation is paid in full. This includes remitting your tax returns to the IRS and the Oregon Dept. of Revenue as "married filing separately."

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you