How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55278
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I acquired a piece of real estate from my mother for $1 dollar

This answer was rated:

I acquired a piece of real estate from my mother for $1 dollar about 10 years ago. It's in my wife and my name. It is totally un-encumbered. It is located in the state of North Carolina. Can I add my brother to the deed , or my brother and his wife in the same manner as part ownership passing with in the same family. Same family sir name?

The intent is to share the profits after a sale and reduce the Capital gains tax consequences to me.

At the time it was passed to me from my mother I understood that while it was mine legally, my brother was equal owner morally and I intend to honor that understanding.

Good afternoon. Yes, you can quit claim an undivided interest in the property to your brother and his wife. This deed would need to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the local real property records where the property is located. You and your wife each have a $1,000,000 lifetime gift exemption, so as long as the interest you are transferring is under these amounts and you have not used these amounts previously, you should suffer no gift tax consequences as a result of the transfer.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions