How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55452
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cell phone tower on my farm that has been leased at

Resolved Question:

I have a cell phone tower on my farm that has been leased at the rate of $450. per month with a 3% increase each year. It is now paying me $537. per month and has been running for 10 years. They offered me a$76,000. one time buy out. What would the capital gains beon this and would it effect my income tax?
thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. Your capital gain amount would be the $76,000 less your basis in the tower. You probably have no basis in the tower so it's likely the entire $76,000 would be gain. Now, your tax on that would depend upon your marginal tax bracket...if you are in the 10% or 15% marginal tax bracket, you would pay no capital gains tax; otherwise you would pay tax at the rate of 15% times the $76,000.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions