How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently retired from the Federal Govt. and have a TSP acct.(401)

Resolved Question:

I recently retired from the Federal Govt. and have a TSP acct.(401) that I would like to roll over into my exsisting Roth IRA.My husband is disabled and receiving tax free income. My thinking is that this is probably the lowest my tax burden will be.(2010) I also have a daughter who is a senior in college so this my last year to claim her as a dependent .
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.



In order to make this decision, you need to compare your taxable income so far this year, to what it will be in future years. If you recently retired, you must have some wage earnings this year and possibly pension income. If you would like to know how much tax there will be on the rollover, I will need to know how much income you will have for this year and how much the rollover will be.


None of us yet know what tax rates will be for next year, but hopefully will not be higher for most people.


I am not sure I have answered your question. Please click Reply if you want to give me additional information or clarification of your question.


Thank you!


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My taxable income for this year will be 30K with 3 dependents, filling jointly (no income for my spouse). The TSP I want to roll over is 70K. Again I think this will be my lowest tax year because my husband will start being taxed on his pension in 2011.
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.



I'm not sure if you meant 3 dependents in addition to you and your husband, or three total. If you meant three total, you will pay around $12,000. Subtract from that any tax withholding from your paychecks, $1,000 per child credit for those 16 or under, and possibly education credits for the one in college. You will also pay state income tax of 4.75%. I did not factor in deductions you may have if you itemize.


Also, you did not say your age, but it the TSP distribution is considered "early", then there will be an additional 10% tax.


Hope this is helpful. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.



Edited by Jacy on 11/2/2010 at 1:04 AM EST
Jacy and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you