How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got married and my spouse and I have been filing single

Customer Question

I just got married and my spouse and I have been filing single all year. How will this affect our taxes? I am concerned that we may end up having to pay a lot back at the end of the year because we didnt have our filing status as married all year.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.



The income tax withholding tables are higher for Single status than Married. This should be in your favor. Sometimes, however, when a high earner marries someone with much lower income, there can be a problem. If you would like me to analyze your situation further, please Reply with your projected earnings and tax withholding for the year. Also let me know if you have dependents or itemized deductions.


Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He earnes about 65K/yr and I earn about 38K/yr. I am not sure what out tax withholdings are for the year. How would I find that out? We have no dependents and own a house, which would be our only itemized deduction.
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.



Your year-to-date tax withholding should be on your paystubs. You will have to estimate what it will be by the end of the year based on how many more pay periods there will be.


I have estimated your total tax to be $13,500 for the year. It will probably less since you itemize deductions (I used the standard of $11,400).


If you both used Single - 1 on your W-4 forms, you should have around $14,000 withheld by the end of the year. You should check this with your pay stubs.


I hope this has been helpful to you.

If I have adequately answered your question, please click the GREEN ACCEPT button.

If you need more information after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to help you further.


Thank you!