How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55454
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have heir (11 heirs) property that we are trying to sell.

This answer was rated:

We have heir (11 heirs) property that we are trying to sell. One of the heirs has an IRS lein against him for roughly $80,000. He will not sign the deed for us to get a clear title to the property because he says he does not owe the lein and the IRS would get his part of the sale of the property. The property is our Mom's house and their are only 2 siblings living and the other heirs are of our 3 deceased siblings. The property is going down without anyone living in it and has to be kept up by me and my sister at our expense. What can be done to lift the lein on this property so that we can pay off debts accumulated?

Good afternoon. You can move forward without the resistant heir. You can simply file a suit for partition...the result will be that the court will order the property sold and the proceeds divided among the property owners.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you