How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife lived in Danbury, CT for two years. She paid her taxes

Customer Question

My wife lived in Danbury, CT for two years. She paid her taxes etc. But there was a strange sales tax that she wasn't notified about even though the dealer setup everything for her (registration etc.) She was never notified about the outstanding balance for 10 years, despite having a forwarding address. We contacted that collector and the City of Danbury,CT before that agency dropped the City of Danbury as a client. The original tax was approx. $235 for Oct 31 -July 1998 and the same period in '99. The collection agency is asking for $838.61 including interest and $225 fee. A new agency has called about the same back tax (another year and a half later.) I have contacted the agency and they say there is nothing they can do to reduce it or anything. "It's the law, you have to pay the whole amount. A warrant will be put out for this amount it it's not paid in full." Is that the case?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 6 years ago.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:


Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Please see for reference - page 11 -

The sales tax is a tax imposed on the retailer for the privilege of doing business in the state. The rate of 6% applies to the retail sale, lease, or rental of most goods and taxable services. There are no additional sales taxes imposed by local jurisdictions in Connecticut.

So far - please be more specific on what type of taxes does your wife owe?