Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I would like to transfer stock shares that I have purchased

through my employers stock purchasing...
I would like to transfer stock shares that I have purchased through my employers stock purchasing plan that is administered by Smith Barney to my children's custodial accounts that I have with Schwab. There isn't a restriction on the transfer of shares out of the SB account. I wanted to know what the income tax implications are, and if there is a more efficient way of doing this without liquidating the shares and transfering the proceeds to their accounts
11/1/2010
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. There should be no tax implications of this transfer depending on the value of the stock being transferred. You have an annual gift tax exclusion of $13,000 per child. In addition, you have a $1,000,000 lifetime gift exemption. So, as long as these transfers are under the gift tax amounts set forth above, you will have no gift tax consequences. Also, there will be no income tax consequences for this.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Thank you for your reply. When the shares are transfered, what is the value that is used in the future for Capital Gains when the shares are liquidated? Is it the original purchase price, or the market value at the time of transfer?

You're welcome. When the shares are sold in the future...the capital gain will be the sale price less the basis (which is your purchase price since in the event of a gift, the basis is carried over from you to them).

I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney