Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Can the IRS, Levy your entire Social Security check.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

JACUSTOMER-tqnxqlay- :

Hello

Robin D :

There are two ways the IRS may levy upon your Social Security benefits – via the automated Federal Payment Levy Program (FPLP) or by a manual (non-FPLP) levy. Under the FPLP, the IRS is able to levy up to 15 percent of your Social Security benefits each month.

JACUSTOMER-tqnxqlay- :

My social security goes direct deposit into my checking account every month and I got a letter on Saturday from my back stating the IRS was placing a levy against my account. The problem is that is the only check that goes into the back

Robin D :

It is important that you call the IRS immediately. If the IRS determines that you cannot pay any of your tax debt due to an economic hardship, the IRS may temporarily delay collection until your financial condition improves. Please be prepared to provide your monthly income and expenses so they can help you resolve this tax matter.

Robin D :

Generally the IRs places liens on property only after previous attempts to collect.

JACUSTOMER-tqnxqlay- :

sorry, that back is bank, not back

Robin D :

I figured.

JACUSTOMER-tqnxqlay- :

I do work part-time, but only to supplement my SS check, but I don't bank that, will that matter

Robin D :

The IRS will need to know all your income and your living expenses will be taken into account on the determination of abbility to pay. If they place you on Currently Non Collectible status the levy will stop.

Robin D :

IRS will require verification of items including:

1. All income (wages and other earnings, interest, dividends, and business income of any kind)

2. Payroll taxes and other payments for federal and state taxes

3. Rent or mortgage, utilities, and other housing costs

4. Automobile payments and operating expenses such as gas, insurance, repairs, etc.

5. Medical expenses including insurance, doctor/dentist payments, prescription drugs, medical supplies, etc.

6. Child care

7. Term life insurance

8. Court ordered payments like child support, alimony, restitution, court costs, etc.

9. Certain other expenses like union dues, 401k deductions, some loan payments, etc.

10. Minimum credit card payments

JACUSTOMER-tqnxqlay- :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX helped much

Robin D :

I am glad. Please remember to click on ACCEPT, but if you have more questions about this subject you can always come back.