Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In 2009, pursuant to a plan of complete liquidation, Woods

Customer Question
Corp. distributed all of its...
In 2009, pursuant to a plan of complete liquidation, Woods Corp. distributed all of its property to its shareholders. Among the property distributed was cash of $200,000, and land that had been held as an investment that had a basis of $100,000, and a fair market value of $160,000. The land was subject to a mortgage of $170,000 which the shareholders assumed. What amount of gain must Woods Corp. recognize as a result of its liquidating distributions?

a. $0
b. $10,000
c. $60,000
d. $70,000
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2010
Tax Professional: JKCPA, CPA replied 7 years ago
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
Hi Customer,

Thanks for your question. The answer is:

d. $70,000
The mortgage of $170,000 exceeds the property’s FMV of $160,000, so the amount of
the mortgage must be used to determine the amount of recognized gain. $170,000 mortgage - $100,000 basis = $70,000 gain.

Hope this helps!
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA