Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My Father passed away in 2009. My siblings and are are selling

Customer Question
My Father passed away in...
My Father passed away in 2009. My siblings and are are selling his house. I'm sure the sale price will be less than what it was worth when he passed. I have two questions.. 1) Can we claim a loss on our taxes due to the sale price being less than the worth at the time of his death? 2) Do we have to claim the proceeds from the house as income and pay taxes? (His total estate was less than $1M).
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2010
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. 1) Yes, it will be a capital investment loss....short term or long term depending upon whether it sold 12 months or more after the death. 2) No, the inheritance of the house is not subject to income tax and the estate being under $1,000,000 would not be subject to estate tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

So...just so I understand...if the house was worth 400K when my dad passed and we sell it for 300K, I can claim a 100K capital loss on my taxes? And I do not have to include the 300K as part of my income for this year? I find it hard to believe that I can claim the loss, but I don't include 300K as part of my income (federal or state)...so just want to confirm both...as I did have to claim an IRA inheritance and a pension payout as part of my income last year...
Yes...and then no...because the $300,000 was basically inheritance that was not subject to estate tax.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney